Friday, March 11, 2011

Look Out Nascar!

(Posted by Parker)
A few days ago I had to make a balloon car for a project in science. The only instructions were that you couldn't use a pre-made car or real wheels. Also, your only source of power was the balloon. So I thought that this project was going to be really easy. Well, I was wrong. It took 3 tries and late nights messing with the car to actually get it moving. My final car looked like this. Pretty awesome right? Well, all it had to do was go 5 meters and then the car would pass the test. At home it was working fine. Then came the day to try it at school. My first attempt, the balloon popped. So thinking ahead, I had brought 2 extra balloons. The second balloon was a failure also. The car would go forward, the start turning and end up going backwards. I fiddled with it a little bit and then the balloon popped again. So I was down to my last balloon and the car still hadn't gone 5 meters yet. So, I put the final balloon on and blew it up, and it worked! The final distance that it went was 7.5 meters, 2.5 meters past the distance that it was supposed to go. The spools of thread, skewer, box, and clothespin car actually worked! So I'm retiring while it's still ahead. Goodbye Nascar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done Parker!! I'm glad to notice that NASCAR is NOT in your future. Love, Grandma