Friday, April 20, 2012

My Grandma

My Grandma passed away suddenly on Thursday, April 12th in Utah.  She had been in the hospital just overnight with pneumonia, but we thought she was fine. We were more worried about my Grandpa since he had just had surgery and his health has always been more fragile over the past several years. She had been home from the hospital for about a week and was out and about doing things. She woke up coughing up blood and called 911 the morning of April 6th.  My parents flew to Utah that evening and got to talk to her and spend time with her before she passed away on Thursday. 
My Grandma was a vivacious person who loved me and loved my family.  She was always interested in the things that we were doing.  I always loved going to see her and my Grandpa.  She was also a trained opera singer.  I had the opportunity to accompany her as she sang many times and will cherish that memory of her. 

She passed away at the end of our Spring Break.  We packed up on Friday and headed to Utah on Saturday morning to spend time with family before her Funeral on Monday. It was great to have everyone together and to see family that we hadn't seen in a while.  The kids loved getting to see and play with their cousins!

 Here are all the cousins (except Charlie ... he was taking a nap)
back row - Conner, Lindsay and Parker
Kaylie, Abby, Calissa, Maddie, Christopher, Sam and Danny
Nathan
(Kevin and Andrew in the background)
 We met everyone for dinner on Saturday night after we had arrived and then came back over to Kevin and Kellie's house on Sunday after church.
 Sam lost his "world" under the fridge.  Kevin and Tina worked on getting it out from under.  After several tries and several different tools, they were finally successful!

They found the "world!"

Sunday was a fun day because we were able to spend several hours with the Romer cousins and then we went to Chandler and Jennifer's house to see all the Burr cousins!  That's the first time that my kids have seen all their cousins in one day!  Pretty amazing!

Calissa, Abby, Maddie, Christopher and Sam playing a game.
Abby and Calissa busy with something fun!
The boys played basketball after church in the backyard.
Abby and Calissa are best buds!
OK, not sure what they are doing here, but doesn't Calissa's arm bend in a weird way?  That's not normal!!
Drew, Trav, Me and Kevin visiting in the backyard.
Making dinner.
Charlie, Kellie, Grandpa, Kevin, Grandma and Me
Drew, Kevin, BJ and Grandpa after their basketball game.

Monday was the funeral.  Travis said the Opening Prayer, the kids all sang "Families Can Be Together Forever," and I was asked to play "O Divine Redeemer" on the piano.  It was a beautiful funeral. I held my emotions in check while I was playing, but lost it once I was finished.  I could hear my Grandma singing while I was playing that for her, and I felt like it would be the last time that I would be able to play for her.
 After the funeral and luncheon, we drove up to Brigham City for the burial.
Maddie, Abby and Calissa each got to take a flower from one of the flower arrangements.

 Here is my Grandpa with some of his great-grandchildren. 
 Monday night we had a BBQ and roasted marshmallows before we all headed for home the next day.

   
The Linda and Craig Romer Family!  All 22 of us!

As much as we'll miss my Grandma, I'm glad that my kids got to know her and will remember her.  They are pretty lucky to have been able to know 3 great-grandparents that they'll remember!


1 comment:

Liz said...

What beautiful memories you have of your Grandma! I'm sure she was singing with you as you played that song. Such a fun family!