Thursday, April 12, 2012

Broken Down Car

A few weeks ago I noticed a plastic piece hanging down under my car.  I looked at it and thought, "Oh well ... guess it's not causing any problems, whatever it is."  Looking back I now know that it was causing problems!  I drove part of the boys Volleyball team to Northgate High School for a game on Tuesday night. As I was parking the car I went over the little parking curb/bumper that's supposed to stop your car from doing damage.  Well, I heard a noise and then backed up when I realized I had gone to far.  Another not so great noise happened, but that happens every once in a while. (Those little curbs do no good when your wheels do not hit them and your tires drive right between it!)

After the game we were getting ready to head home and I backed out of the spot and starting driving.  I heard an awful noise of something being dragged.  I stopped the car and got out to check to see if my bumper had somehow fallen off! I couldn't see anything, so I got back in and tried driving again.  Again, I had to stop because the noise was so bad.  The VB boys and I got out and looked under my car.  The plastic piece that's supposed to protect the hoses and things under the hood had gotten cracked and bent backwards (when I backed over it).  I guess it had been hanging down for a while, but I did it greater damage and was wondering how I was going to get home from Walnut Creek.

One of the players took control and asked me if I had a screwdriver (which I didn't) and duck tape (which I didn't).  We did, however have Parker's athletic tape that he uses to tape his thumb.  I passed that down to him and he taped up the plastic piece so it could stay up until we got home. As he was fixing it, everyone kept stopping to ask us if we were OK.  I had Volleyball players laying all over the ground and under my car.

Once it was taped we slowly drove back to the High School.  Every time the car bounced at all, we could hear it scrape bottom.  After dropping off the boys at the school, I called my dad and asked if he could look at it since Travis was gone that evening.  He came out and jacked up my car (with a hurt shoulder) and said that he thought it would be OK for tomorrow.  I was worried because it was my week to drive the carpool and I had to go on the freeway and didn't want it dragging all the way home.  As I was pulling out of the driveway it caught again on their curb and he had me come back in.  I was glad that he was going to try and fix it for me a little so I didn't have to worry so much.  So ... he jacked up my car again and got under it and tied up the piece so that it wouldn't drag anymore.


I have the best dad!

It lasted until Travis took it in for a service the next Monday.  The service was EXPENSIVE but fixing that piece of my van was free.  Maybe they felt bad about how much everything else cost!

No comments: