Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Living the Dream in Scottsdale

Our annual trip to Scottsdale with myself and Jen's three brothers brought fun times, laughs, and memories. It was a good chance to celebrate my 40th birthday as well.


Jen's brother Kevin was able to get us a great deal on both the resort and the golf since his wife's sister is married to a Marriott. The Executive Suite usually goes for $600+ per night and we got it for $200 and the golf was discounted from $200 to $80. So, we were living the dream without having to pay nightmare prices. The balcony outside the room was about 30-feet long! Being the old man of the group, I got the king-size bed and the plush room -- BJ slept on the fold-out couch and Drew and Kevin had an adjoining room with two queen beds. It was very nice although we didn't spend a whole lot of time in the rooms. Here are a few pictures of the balcony, the view from the balcony, and the suite.







Notice the "ghost" of BJ in the glass of the shower.













We got to the resort just in time to catch our first 18-holes. It took me a while to get going (I think I got a 12 on the first hole) but things went better after a few holes. My best round was a 92 on the 2nd day, which was strange because that was the course with 106 bunkers. Kevin ended up with the lowest combined score from the three days.

Besides the three rounds of golf, we went to pizza one night and Benihana's the next and also were able to catch a movie. I left my phone on the bench at pizza and realized it about 30 minutes later. We called and they said they couldn't find it but we went back anyway and it was sitting right there on the bench in plain sight! They said they thought we were talking about a different booth. Glad we went back...

At Benihana's, we shared some sushi along with our regular meal and I shared my birthday celebration with a young girl that was also sitting at our table. I actually ended up celebrating my birthday at Benihana's three times during February (once with my family, once with Jen's brothers, and once with co-workers)!

There are always funny moments when the four of us get together to go golfing and this year was no exception. The top 2 funny moments from this year's trip were Drew's squirrel murder and BJ's ricochet shot into a backyard.

I was teeing off on the 10th hole and looked over to see a smashed ground squirrel underneath Drew & Kevin's golf cart. I said, "Drew, you just killed that ground squirrel!" To which he replied, "No, I didn't." So I said, "Well, BJ and I didn't see a dead squirrel when we drove by a couple seconds before you, it's between your front tire and back tire, clearly has fresh blood, and there's blood all over your front tire. If we were in a court of law, you'd be guilty every time." He finally agreed he must have done it though he never saw the squirrel. He moved his cart a few feet and then as we were discussing it, the cart lady who sells snacks drove up and parked right on top of the squirrel. After we declined to buy anything (I mean, who was hungry after that?), she drove off and peeled out right on the squirrel. Blood and guts everywhere -- it was very disgusting but was quite the memory.

A few holes later, on a par 3, BJ somehow shanked his drive right into a tree about 20 yards in front of us and to the right. The ball ricocheted off the tree and headed straight into a backyard. We all cringed but somehow the golf ball managed to avoid the swimming pool, all windows, and the house and bounced harmlessly into the gravel. Being right next to the tee box, we figured the homeowners probably thought they were safe. They were until we came by...

Here are Jen's three brothers as we are having lunch on our last day in Arizona.



Anyhow, it was lots of fun and was a great way to spend the last few days of my 30's. Thanks for the memories, guys! Can't wait until next year.

No comments: