Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sub at the Zoo!

I got to go to the SF Zoo on Thursday as a substitute teacher for a 1st grade class. It was a pretty easy day and a gorgeous day in the city!
Our bus driver missed the exit to the zoo so the other bus made it about 15 minutes before us. Unfortunately for the other bus, the teacher on our bus had all the paperwork to get into the zoo! Then, our driver decided to drive down to turn the bus around so the kids could see the ocean (maybe that's where they are supposed to turn the bus around) and got stuck behind a MUNI bus parked at the curb. After sitting in the bus with all those anxious 1st graders for 2-3 minutes, I asked the bus driver if she wanted me to go ask the MUNI driver to move her bus forward a little so we could get past. She said sure and I popped off the bus to ask the driver if she could please pull forward. My goodness, you would have thought that I asked her to do something really hard. (You want me to move MY bus?) I got an earful and came back on the bus to admit my defeat. So ... we went four-wheeling over the curb to the delight of the kids and to my nervous worry! Once we made it to the zoo, the zoo staff had a hard time locating our PO. Finally the kids and chaperones made it into the zoo and they were off for a quick 2 hour look at the animals. I looked around and realized that I had no responsibilities for the next two hours!
I sat on a nice bench and watched the giraffes for a while.
I walked around the zoo without having to focus on anyone but myself. I didn't quite know what to do with myself!
I thought this was pretty funny in the monkey's enclosure.

It was such a beautiful day there. The weather was perfect and I enjoyed a quiet day (at least until the bus ride home)!

No comments: