Sunday, October 3, 2010

See Jen Tri

So ... getting back from a cruise and doing a triathlon sprint the next morning probably wasn't my smartest move ever. I was pretty tired from the trip, but excited about doing the triathlon. Trav and I got up at 5:10 in the morning to get packed up and headed out to Pleasanton for the See Jane Run Triathlon. We got lost once, but made it there a little after 6 am. It was still dark and I had no idea what to do, but asked some questions and got things together. Here I am warming up with some of the other 1000 participants.
Angela and I finally found each other. It was nice to see a familiar face!

Here we are again almost ready for the swim.

They wrote your race number on your arm and on your thigh in black sharpie and then wrote your age on the back of your calf. (You can still see mine a little, but it's mostly worn off now.) It was kind of fun to watch everyone as they passed you, or as you passed them to see how old they were.

The family all came to watch. It was nice to have so much support there. Andrew, Tina and their kids came for the finish.

Here is our group "Mom's Tri Hard!" These ladies all did a great job!!

We started off with the swim. I'm in there somewhere. I wasn't worried about the 1/4 mile swim since I had been consistently swimming 1/2 mile twice a week at the pool. I got in the water and then realized that I couldn't really swim and started to panic. There were so many people and you were getting kicked and kicking other people and my heart was beating so fast I couldn't even breathe. I kind of doggy paddled around the first buoy and then decided that I could swim a little. Then, my water shoes that I decided to wear kept falling off and I had to stop and put them back on. I should have just ditched them in the lake! (No shoes next year!) I made it to the end, but I was really glad when I got out of the water. I did the swim in 12:48.

Whew ... I made it!

I ran back to the transition area and found my bike (with just a little difficulty) and managed to get my shirt, shorts, knee brace (tricky) socks, shoes, sunglasses and helmet on and then I was off for the 11 mile bike ride. That was the best part of the race. Lots of people passed me, but that was OK. I was on my mountain bike which is heavy and slow, but I enjoyed it. There was a crazy part on the course where we were heading down a street and then you'd go to the end and turn around. The people that had turned around were all coming toward you and I ran a lady into a tree branch (not on purpose) but it was craziness! Then about mile 8 or 9 we hit a big hill! They said the course was flat ... that was not flat but I managed to get up it (complaining to the lady next to me as we pushed ourselves up that hill)! It was pretty nice riding down it though!

I finished the bike in 47:59.

Then I was off for the 3 mile run. It was pretty hilly and on a dirt path, but was nice. A dog came out of nowhere heading straight at the runners, but other than that it was pretty good. I did the run in 33:53. I walked a few times, but that was OK with me!

I finished the race in 1:39:16. My goal was to finish in 1:45, so I beat my goal. I finshed 82nd out of the 135 in my age group. I was just glad to finish!

1 comment:

Merrill Family said...

You are a rock star mamma! I wish I had done it looked like fun!