Sunday, May 3, 2009

"The Catch"

Some of you may have heard about "the catch." For those of you who have and those who have not, we now have pictures of "the catch." It was significant enough that it needs quotation marks! Travis is in charge of a coed softball team from Kaiser each Spring. He enjoys playing softball and it is fun to get the employees together outside of work. The kids and I went to one of his games a few weeks ago. (We only go to the 6:30 games). I had gone to check on the kids and as I was walking back I was behind the backstop as I saw this play unfolding.
Travis is running for the line drive.
He dives into the air and catches the ball.Then he knocks the wind out of himself and injures his knee and wrist.
The scorekeepers for this game (several teenage boys) were behind the backstop with me. They were so impressed with his catch. They were saying, "did you see that catch ... that was so dope." I said, "that was my husband and it was stupid!" "No, no, no," they said, "that was the most amazing catch we've ever seen!"

It took Travis a while to get off the ground. I told him after the game that he was not so smart (OK, I may have said stupid). He said it was only stupid if you don't catch the ball. He hurt his wrist (which is better now) and his knee (which grew to several times the normal size). He went in and got that drained this week. He didn't dive for any balls this week, or slide (at least that's what he said)!

It really was an amazing catch. He is an incredible athlete!

3 comments:

Kellie said...

Sweet catch...did you break anything when you landed? I will check sports center tonight to see if you made the top 10 plays.

Kevin

April J. said...

In all the times I have seen Travis play I can say it is not unusual for him to make an amazing play, usually with some sort of scrape. It was a beautiful catch though. Way to make your family proud!

Azure said...

Sounds just like Travis!! You may want to tell him that he's getting too old for things like that. :)