Sunday, October 2, 2011

Hobbling the Ragnar (van 2)

As Travis said in his post, we've been training for the Ragnar for 5-6 months.  We've been running 3-4 days a week and nursing our hurts along the way.  I'd been having trouble with me knees and since I'd worn orthodics as a teenager I thought that maybe having orthodics would help with my knee problems.  I bought some inserts and ran 5.5 miles that day (including some hills).  I got back and my left leg was so sore I couldn't move without it hurting.  I took a few days off, then ran again.  Because my left leg was still sore, I over-compensated and ended up hurting my right leg.  I could hardly walk it hurt so bad.  Tuesday morning I went to the doctor and they thought it was a case of Tendinitis or a Stress Fracture.  I went home in this lovely boot, not sure I'd be able to run the race in a week and a half.
 I took good care of it and could almost walk without pain when the Ragnar rolled around.  I decided to try running or at least walking so I could still participate.  
 Our van met at 8:30 on Friday morning. 
We loaded up the van and headed off to Kentfield (over by San Quentin).
Van 2 - Tina (sporty Pretender nails), Ryan, Drew, Courtenay and Kevin
Not so sure it was a good idea for me to drive! 
 Heading across the bridge. It was a beautiful day!
 After our safety briefing, we had to decorate our van.
Go Pretenders!
 At exchange 6 getting ready to start running.
Courtenay, Tina, Me, Kevin, Drew and Ryan
Tina ran her first leg (which was originally mine, but she switched with me when I got injured) and then it was my turn about 11:30 or so.  It was a hot, hilly 5.5 miles.  I ran (hobbled) most of the time and walked about a mile of it.  The van was great to cheer me on and give me water along the way!
 I took a picture of myself as I was running.  Still smiling.
 Once I hit about 4.5 miles, I came  across some buzzards circling overhead.  They made me laugh.  I figure they were just waiting for me to give up! 
 I made it to the exchange in about a 12 minute pace and off Ryan ran.
 Glad it's over!
 Ryan running so fast he was blurry!
  Then it was Kevin's turn.
 Then Drew's. 
 Another few kills for Drew. 
 I think this is a funny picture with both his feet off the ground!
 Courtenay was our last runner.  She had a short distance to run and the traffic was horrendous so we got no pictures of her running!  She had to wait about 10 minutes for us to show up before she jumped in the van.  It was about 4:30 or so and so we headed off to dinner at Applebees.  Along the way we passed Travis out running his 2nd leg.  Go Trav!! 

 After a relaxing meal, we headed to the next exchange to wait for Van 1 to finish.  We got out our sleeping bags and just relaxed on the grass for an hour or so.  Kev, Courty and Drew watched a show on Drew's iPad.  Like our reflective vests?  Once it hit 6:30, we had to have them on at all times.
 Van 1 pulled in and we got to say hi to them for a few minutes before Tina headed off on her run.
Here is a picture of Me, Parker and Travis ... can't you tell?
 Tina took off running about 9 o'clock for her long 7.5 mile run.  It was pretty dark, but she did a great job!  I went out next for a short 2.9 run.  I ran the whole way ( and hurt the whole time) but finished in about a 11 minute pace.  Our night runs went really well.  While Courtenay was running, Andrew got out of the car to stretch and a drunk guy came home (in his car) and then came across the street to chat.  He was pretty funny.  Glad he didn't hit any runners!  Our van got done about 2:45 in the morning and realized that we really needed to eat even if we didn't feel like it.  We headed to the next exchange and stopped by Jack in the Box for a little after midnight snack.  We got to the next exchange about 3:30 in the morning and settled in for a short rest.  We didn't really sleep, but did get to shut our eyes for about an hour.  

We all felt pretty bad when we got up the next morning.  No food, no sleep and more running ahead of us didn't sound so good!  The other van arrived about 6 am and then Tina started her final leg about 6:30.  Van 1 was done and we just had to finish up! 
 Tina finished and then I headed off on my final 2.9 miles.  
 Almost done!!!!
 Ryan pumped up and ready to go for his final 7.9 miles.  Brutal!!
 Ryan done and Kevin heading off.
 Run Kevin, run!
 Drew on his final leg getting ready to pass the slap bracelet off to Courtenay! 
 Courtenay coming in and the group getting ready to cross the finish line together. 
 WE FINISHED!!!
Our final time was 28 hours, 35 minutes and 6 seconds!
We finished 54th in the mixed teams and 106th overall. (In the top 1/3rd).
Once we made it home, we were exhausted and barely made it till 8 PM that night.  We got up on Sunday morning hurting (I could hardly walk) but ready for church.  I sent Parker out to take some pictures of our van before we cleaned it off.
My nickname was "One Good Leg."
Our van ended up with 67 kills since Van 1 passed so many, there wasn't many left to pass!  I got passed by people just so my other teammates could pass them later.  Generous of me, huh?
 We got home from church and dinner on Sunday night and I walked around the back of the van and couldn't figure out why there was so much bird poop on my driveway.  My gaze followed it out to the street and then to the gutter where the paint pen was laying in the gutter.  I guess Parker left it on the back of the car when he added the rest of the kills before he took the pictures.  It must have fallen off and a car came and ran over it.  It launched white "bird poop" all over my driveway.  At least it didn't hit any other cars!

Ragnar was a really fun, exhausting, mentally challenging, wonderful experience.  I'd love to do it again with a healthy body ... at least I think I do!

Run.  Drive.  Sleep?  Repeat!
Napa Valley Ragnar 2011

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I hope you are doing better, Jen!