Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Snow Camp (Written by Parker)

All the young men and I went snow camping last Saturday. It was at Bear Valley resort. The ride there was really long (3 hours) but, me and my friend Tyler entertained ourselves by playing Monopoly on his i-Touch for the whole time. I won by the way. When we got there we set up camp and started making dinner. It actually wasn't very cold unlike the last snow camp-out when it snowed the whole time. We had no snow fall down on our whole trip. There was a grand total of 4 boys and 4 adults who went unlike last year of over 13 boys. For dinner we had roasted sausages which were very good. Then, we went to sleep. We woke up in the morning and sat around talking for a while before we had breakfast. Here we are talking to each other at our fire pit (asphalt). Net, we went on a show shoeing hike through all the snow. We saw lots of tracks including rabbits, deer, and bears! We didn't see any bears though which was good. When we got back to camp, we messed around in the snow. As you can see, there was a TON of snow piled up everywhere. Then, my leaders and fellow young men had the brilliant idea of digging a hole in the snow and putting me in there.


This was the hole that they put me in.


Oh, I forgot to mention that I was in short sleeves to. Give me a break, it was really hot and everyone else was doing the same thing that i was doing. I fit in the hole and didn't freeze which was good.



One of our leaders was digging in the snow when he found a tunnel that led to the top of the snow bank. So, I went up and tried to dig down and meet the other tunnel to make a slide. I was digging in one spot then I took a step back and almost fell completely down the tunnel. "I found it" I said. So we dug it out and I was the first one brave enough to ride down it. It was tons of fun! As the time went on, everyone including the leaders rode down it. We kept making modifications to it and by the time we had to leave I could go down and get some serious air! No injuries though which was good. I didn't want to ruin it by getting a broken leg. All in all, it was a great experience and I had lots of fun with my fellow young men and our leaders.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favorite is the snow slide. If it was bigger and longer I would like to try that!! I've never seen a snow camp on asphalt, though. Grandma R.