Friday, May 15, 2015

My First Open House

I took over for a 1st grade teacher going on Maternity leave right after we got back from Choir Tour.  Things have been super busy around our house!  Open House was scheduled for two weeks after I started.  We had a lot to do to get ready. 
We made math flip books.  Each student had a number and we did something different with it on each page.  (Expand it, word form, tally marks, number line, etc.).  Seriously ... the hardest problem ever!  Gives me nightmares even now!  :)
The had sent out Flat Stanley's before I got there, so I just had to put them up and set them out.  They were fun to look at!
We painted poppies and cut them out.
They wrote about the "Best Part" of themselves from the book "The Best Part of Me."  Then, I took pictures of them and printed them in black and white to go with their writing.
On the window is their silhouettes of themselves with an adjective they picked to describe themselves.  At their desks are their "Mini Me's."  I have to admit getting a bit creeped out by some of them (especially the ones that had real photo faces)!  We had all but one family attend Open House that night (and the one student was sick).  I enjoyed meeting the families and getting to know the kids a little bit better.  Glad that the teacher left such great plans to implement for Open House (but I have to admit I was glad when it was over)!

No comments: