Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Weekend Away

I had the opportunity to fly to Utah on Wednesday to attend Women's Conference at BYU with my college friends.  I escaped the 95 degree weather in California for a nice and cool 54 degrees the day I arrived.  Heather flew in an hour after me, and after she arrived Erika picked us up at the airport and we headed to Provo to check into Wyview.  After settling in we got to go to Los Hermanos, a favorite of ours from our college days!
We didn't get a whole lot of sleep the first night and had to be at the Marriott Center at 6:30 the next morning!  We had signed up to sing in the instant choir and had a practice from 6:30-8:30 before the conference began.  It was a neat experience to sing with 600 other ladies in a choir and a great way to start the conference!  The weather was beautiful and we enjoyed classes, eating, chatting and shopping for the several days that we were there.
 Me, Erika & Heather 
While we were at the conference Erika and Heather crocheted these scarves for a service project.  Since I don't know how to crochet, I supported them while they did!  They did a great job during the two day conference!
The first night they had a music concert in the Marriott Center.  We got to hear Mercy River, Hillary Weeks, Michael McLean, Justin Cash, Josh Wright, Sandra Turly, & Hudson Lights.  That was an amazing concert with great performers! During the two day conference I was able to go to classes about adversity, scripture reading, parenting teens, marriage, being good examples, & hope.  Our final session was President Eyring in the Marriot Center.  He talked about not being scared by things to come.  It was my first experience at Women's Conference and I had a great time being spiritually fed and reconnecting with old friends!
 I am grateful for these two amazing women and that even after almost 20 years, we are still friends! 
 Saturday morning my dad drove down to Provo to pick me up so I could attend my niece's baptism.  We stopped by my Grandpa's house before we went and I had to take a picture of his dog, Tipper.  Tipper used to have beautiful black, white, and brown fur. She looks so different now!  My grandpa took her in to be groomed and they couldn't get a knot out of her fur.  They asked my grandpa if they could cut it off and he said, "sure," thinking that they'd just cut that part off.  When he picked her up, he didn't even recognize her!  Hopefully her beautiful fur will grow back!
 Here is Abby and Kevin before her baptism.  She asked me to play for their special music number.  Her brothers and cousins sang, "When Jesus Christ Was Baptized."

When I got to the church for the baptism, I asked my nephew Sam for a hug.  He asked me where Parker, Conner and Calissa were.  I told him that they had to stay home.  He wasn't too thrilled with that and didn't give me my hug!
 After the baptism, people came back to Kevin and Kellie's for some yummy lunch.  They hired a taco cart to come and cater the food.  It was a beautiful day with yummy food, a great baptism and fun visiting with family and friends!
I flew back to California later that afternoon after a very busy few days!  I'm glad I had the opportunity to go and that my family survived without me!

No comments: